GASPARILLA ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE
The 105’ tower was built in 1881 by the Phoenix Iron Company of Trenton, N.J. It began service just north of Lewes, Delaware as the Delaware Breakwater Rear Range Light, known locally as the Green Hill Lighthouse. In 1927, the lighthouse was reassembled and installed on Gasparilla Island just south of the town of Boca Grande by the U.S. Lighthouse Service. The tower was painted white and a 4th order Fresnel lens was installed and lit on January 1, 1932. The light was not manned, but continuously maintained by
the Light Keepers of Gasparilla Island Light Station, better known as Port Boca Grande Lighthouse.
It is the only rear range to work in two states and was Determined Eligible by the Keeper of the National Register in 2014. After rigorous review, BIPS was awarded stewards of the light by the U.S. Coast Guard in 2016. With the support of the community, BIPS raised $1.3 million to restore the lighthouse to its former glory in 2017. With the help of a fabulous restoration team, Razorback LLC, Alex Klahm Architectural Metals and Design, Ken Smith Architects and Atlantic Engineering, it opened up to its first public climb in April of 2017 and won a Florida Trust Award in 2018 for outstanding achievement.